Thursday, August 24, 2006

We Came Here To Make Coffee Metal (cont.)

Every once in a while I get a bunch of thoughts together that have no cohesive theme, but that I feel are post-worthy. Let's see how many I can dredge up today...

-I bought Killer7 for my 'Cube because there were a few veiled plugs for it in Resident Evil 4 and it was on super-discount in the GameStop used bin. But man, did I get more than I bargained for. Playing it is like playing Doom while listening to Christopher Walken read Kafka's "The Trial" on Books on Tape and using your feet to shop for interesting clothing online simultaneously. The absolute weirdness of it all horrifies, and yet transfixes.

-I'm sure the hype surrounding Bill Cowher's future is manufactured by the "Aw God T.O. Isn't Causing Enough Trouble This Offseason What Are We Gonna Talk About" ESPN subcommittee. Nevertheless, I hope when the season is over and the time comes to discuss the matter, they'll figure out a way to keep him. Till the end of his life. His daughters are all in college anyway, right? He's not missing out on that much time with his family...aw, shucks. Do what you gotta do, Chin. But I swear, if you retire and then get the itch and come back to coach the Ravens, I'll f*cking kill you.

-Brilliant in-ring ability is important. But the way to a championship is through the microphone.

-Since hearing the Duncan Hills jingle, and more pointedly, downloading it from the Dethklok website, I have been drinking like 6 cups of coffee a day.
Toki: you would rather chop off your ding-dong than not drink??
Murderface: YEAH!!!
Toki: Wowee!

-I just discovered a street in Somerset, Pennsylvania, zip code 15501, the sign of which I must, must, MUST have my picture taken next to in an appropriate pose...TRIPLE H LANE.




11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SCREAM FOR YOUR CREAM!!!

2:26 PM  
Blogger leo said...

We have longtime family friends, coincidentally, who live in Somerset. Or at least they did. ALso coincidentally, they lived right by where flight 93 infamously crashed. I have been there many times, but I don't remember any of this majestry. If I ever go again, I will hunt it down for you.


(Or we could just get a picture of the Intercourse sign near me at the next retreakend.)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

Yeah, Triple H Lane seems to be a small/out-of-the-way street. I believe it's only a block long. Oh well, Google maps will know where it is.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

Just watched some Metalocalypse last night. Pretty excellent.

There is nothing more metal than crying blood upon seeing that you got JFK's car with Lincoln's chair as the front seat.

DEATH!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Brilliant in-ring ability is important. But the way to a championship is through the microphone."


Amen. I think Chris Benoit is the only wrestler that comes to mind that is the exception to the rule. RVD also.

I think their reigns would've been longer (also if hypothetically they weren't pulled over for "enjoying the 4:20th of July a little too much") if they had a mouth piece to put them over in interviews. Andre, Yokozuna, Lesnar (eventually improved) and (back in the day) Taker couldn't say jack on the mic. They each benefited from Bobby Heenan, Mr. Fuji, Paul Heyman and Paul Bearer respectively. I think Vince, while stubborn about using too many ECW guys, really missed the boat on bringing in Bill Alfonso to do RVD's promos. There was even a rumor that the master of the spinebuster (and icey stare) Arn Anderson was gonna manage Benoit through his reign, but they never went through with it...it would've been great.



And I'm sure you meant that as some work-related/life-related climb the ladder philosophical statement, but you got the wrestling diatribe anyway. I will go toe-to-toe with Leo in terms of Legitimate Sports rants v Staged Sports rants.

12:46 PM  
Blogger leo said...

Just you wait, Stevner....

4:49 PM  
Blogger leo said...

The Cowher talk may not be just fodder. Once coaches win the Super Bowl, they realize that's their ultiamte goal, they've done it, and now they have the power to do whatever they want. Some retire. Some change teams. A lot think about going back to college. Very few stay there nowadays, at least for a long time.

But Cowher is different, in that he has loyalty. Remember, he had those bad years with Kordell and Tommy when the Steelers were down and everyone was pissed but the Rooneys refused to fire him. So, he might think about hanging it up soon, but he won't coach another team, especially a rival. The only other team I could see him maybe just possibly coachign in the NFL is the Browns, just because they're close, and he played and coached for them. Now, maybe if Wannestedt doesn't get it together at Pitt... or check this out: he's the guy who finally replaces Paterno. How cool would that be???? He's one of the few who could step into that giant void and fill it. I don;t think he'll leave the Western PA / Northeast Ohio region if he does bow out.

Yes, while few franchises and coaches have that kind of loyalty and patience today, the Steelers do. It's just that he has nothign left to accomplish there. Unless he can repeat, which would put him on an eternal pedestal next to Roberto Clemente and Franco Harris and no one would ever hate him again, not even if he punched the Sombrero Man in the face and urinated on people on the inclined train.

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche, Justin

12:42 PM  
Blogger d said...

i will eat your babies with a spork and a straw.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

Pops. Do you have a vocoder?

If so, Black Market Dynamite needs to do a cover of Neil Young's "Sample and Hold" off of Trans. I need to see this accomplished.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

I DO have a vocoder. Is that song in the shipment you gave me? My iPod has departed for the Apple service dept. so even if it is I won't be able to hear it till, like, two weeks from now. How coincidental.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home