Monday, January 09, 2006

Weekend Recap

Metal-Head Retreat Weekend quality as usual. The plotting, the capers, the gambling, the excessive Sheetzing, the hinking on the guero, and the [insert face and accompanying hand gesture here] all comes together pretty wonderfully. Highlights include FINALLY getting a copy of "Drowning" on vinyl (Micro Mix, not AK1200), Apples to Apples gambling variant, and discovering a girl that will be subservient to Grand Madame Lindsay Weir in my mental brothel.

Onto the NFL recap. I am so giddy. For comparison's sake, you can see my original picks here.

In retrospect, of course I never should have given the Jags that much credit for a close game. Nevertheless, I unwaveringly picked them to lose, so my self-esteem is really not damaged very much.

The Redskins went and did what they do. 17-10 and they advance to Seattle.

Giants got blanked embarrassingly by the Panthers. I called the game New York's way, but for partial exoneration, I remind you that their victory was contingent on both teams showing up to play. Oh man, did they ever not show up to play. Not even a crummy field goal. Eli Manning gets picked three times and fumbles. Two other picks are called back on penalties. Burress does not catch a single ball, barely gets looked at, in fact. That definitely qualifies as buttsexiness. That, in addition to the fact that I picked Chicago to beat the winner next week, means that I don't feel too bad about missing the pick. I do expect Carolina to give the Bears more of a fight than New York would have, though.

Best for last. After falling behind 10-0, I got a little worried about Pittsburgh, even with Carson Palmer being injured on the first play from scrimmage, tearing two ligaments and questionable to return by July. The Bengals were really, really angry and played for blood. But towards the end of the half, the momentum began to shift for a number of reasons: 1) Cincy didn't keep up the offensive pressure, giving Pittsburgh time to regroup, 2) Roethlisberger was passing efficiently, 3) The Steelers defense remembered that they are bad mofos, and perhaps most importantly, 4) The Bengals' morale sagged when they realized that though their anger might carry them through this game, their star QB was gone till September and John Kitna would never beat the Colts, Broncos, or Patriots. It was over. Honestly, my sympathies go out to Carson Palmer and Bengals fans. 15 years between winning seasons is a long time to wait. Still, when it comes down to you or them, you gotta send flowers.

Bill Simmons is disgusting.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you say Lindsay Weir?

(By the way, you should allow the < img > tag for funfunfun...)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

AWWWWW GOD!!!

NO!!

I mean Freaks & Geeks styleee. God damn man. Send me some shampoo for my eyeballs with that next mix CD.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yo Chub-Lo, I ran into Travis and Marlow at Steelgaarden last night. Somehow we got to talking about you, and Travis told me the story of your roommate and his battle with DirecTV and the FBI. Nice.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's screenplay-worthy. I really should get it published.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home