Friday, December 16, 2005

'Tis the Season, innit?


I realized something while engaging in some idle chatter with Mistress Armada recently, concerning the Christmas season: I'm a big fan of Christmas. It's just a good time to be human.

As an easily impressed child, I couldn't have too much stimulation. Monstrously draconian restrictions on television-watching meant that I got probably six to seven thousand times the enjoyment out of seeing those few programs during December that my brother and I were allowed to watch, The Grinch and A Charlie Brown Christmas being the two essential staples. Going to a Catholic elementary school meant that Advent started on about November 15th and from that point until the holiday started, all of us were in a constant state of holding small plastic tubes in our mouths, holding flameless lighters in one hand and pieces of tinfoil containing pure Christmas in the other, with the benevolent nuns holding holly-bedecked Mauser C-96s to our heads to make sure we kept right on inhaling.

Violent metaphor aside, all I know is, proper immersion in holiday themes and spirits (both definitions) made 12/25 super awesome when it rolled around. Bethlehem, as much as many of its current and former residents may not care for it, is pretty nice during Christmastime. Granted, there's a lot of shit going on that is just royally schmaltzy, like the horse-drawn carriages and the big manger scene in the City Center, and those gigantic Advent candles, but it's part of the overall effect. Bethlehem's a historical town, parts of it dating back further than others (And, for anyone who is curious, NONE of it dates back to the birth of CHRIST. Although he does visit here in the summer sometimes). Few things are more beautiful in December than the historical district when snow is falling. I can't explain the mixed emotions I have when I see the silhouettes of the old Bethlehem Steel furnaces by the Lehigh River amidst a snowstorm, but I can assure you it's a healthy feeling.

And, just two years ago, I was engaged in the most grueling finals season to date, frequently taking a break from my work to have a cigarette on the porch of townhouse E-8, sometimes at 4 or 5 in the morning, with caffeine and ritalin and God knows what else coursing through my system. I'd stand in the cold, December, Philadelphia night, and look at the wreaths, ribbons, and lights that the R.D.s had hung across the way. One night, during the last week, it began to snow heavy, chunky flakes in the early morning while I was out. Not having an mp3 player, I had no music with me, but had such an urge to hear "Christmas Time is Here" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio that I just started singing it to myself. From that moment on I was dedicated to getting a means of portable digital music playing, so that I'd never be without Vince Guaraldi when I needed him again. (And, for the record, outside of Christmastime, the absolute best song to listen to when outside in falling snow is "Higher Ground" by Omni Trio.)

This year, I find myself working full-time, spending about half my nights per week in the studio, and the rest of my evenings frantically trying to spend time with my friends. I see my family infrequently, though we all live in the same house. It startles the hell out of me when I see that it's already the 16th of December...we just had Thanksgiving! And it's because I've gotten next to zero exposure to the season. I did most of my shopping online. Scoring a CD and a box of ammo isn't going to involve a lot of strolling downtown. I just plain old don't have time to sit still and absorb Christmas this time around. At least, I haven't so far. There's still 8 days left. Maybe I can jam some holiday spirit into my head, yet.

For instance, tonight I am headed into Manhattan with Destro and the Baroness. I don't know where in town the club is, but perhaps we'll pass by the big tree or Rockefeller's or something. Who knows? New York makes me edgy most of the time, but this might be just what I need. Nevermind the fact that I get to schmooze with a bunch of models and talk about whose index and middle fingers smell the least like vomit.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all my comrades who come out to see Stereo Agency when we play. I'm in love with playing music, and every time my pals come to a show it's as though myself and music are on a honeymoon (sometimes very tender and romantic, other times there's more leather and violence, but always great). Especially guys like Mindbender, Bludd, and hopefully Metal-Head, who are going through a lot of trouble to come to the show on Saturday. That is truly cool. I hope that everyone enjoys what we do when you come out, because our enjoyment of our craft is contingent on the audience's enjoyment of the noise. The giving IS the receiving, wow, does it get any more Christmasy than that? Fawk.

All right, all right. Enough of all this. I have a feeling that it's going to be a great, though poorly-rested weekend. Aren't they all. For those I'll see, I'm looking forward to it. For those I won't, be cool, and root for Pittsburgh come Sunday.

COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Danno

12:52 AM  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

Thanks, anon.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're wrong, asshole. The absolute best song to listen to when it's snowing all around you is "Switching Off" by Elbow. Runner up is "Crystal" by Mannheim Steamroller. THERE IS TO BE NO ARGUMENT ABOUT THIS.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home