Friday, January 05, 2007

Happy Trails, Sgt. Slaughter

Not normally one to resist the flow of innovation, but the new blogger demands that I either forfeit my anonymity here or my identity on gmail. Some improvement.

Firstly, I would like to report that the songs on www.myspace.com/blackmarketdynamite are now downloadable! There are two studio demos there that, as far as I know, are largely uncirculated. Go forth and propogate our music. I tried to upload them to last.fm but they told me the songs needed to be encrypted differently or something. No idea how to re-encrypt them. *aggots.

Farewell, William Cowher.

The man did a fine job overall. Since I started paying attention, the man's only lean years came when he tried to engineer some kind of departure from what is known throughout the NFL world as Steelers football...staunch defense, of course, but most importantly a physical offense with a pounding rushing attack. Every team has talent, every player is a badass, even this guy. But in this age of salary caps and steroids, it's become increasingly clear to me what makes the Steelers more consistently competitive than any other team in the league: an identity that is bigger than any player on a current roster, bigger than a coach, bigger than the owners. It is the identity of Pittsburgh itself. There is such a legacy of tradition, not in terms of success but in methodology, that every player who comes through the locker room is pushed to live up to, and they stick to that whether they win or lose. In a Peloponnesian War analogy, Pittsburgh would be Sparta. (New England would be Athens and Chicago would be Boeotia. Probably.) Let us hope that now that Lysander (Cowher) has left, we will find a new general capable enough and dedicated to the Pittsburgh identity to sail the victory fleet into the Piraeus once again...

So that's the Terrordrome NFL tidbit. Watch Iron_Grenadiers to see my forthcoming playoff picks, as well as those of the other guardsmen. Also there's an ode to Chad Pennington I wrote yesterday that's especially funny if you watch this first.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first I've heard of Mr. Cower's departure. I'd say the Eagles are up there with the Steelers in terms of "the team is bigger than the player" which is exactly why T "Don't call me Andre Waters" O didn't fit in.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to write something, but you beat me to it. Well said.

That link to the pissed off long snapper is pretty great. Between him and that guy the Eagles signed who doubles as a part time magiciian, you have to admit that it's been a banner year for long snappers in the NFL.

Forget all this history nonsense; I think all you need to do to get into grad school is to send them the Chaddington lyrics. That would've gotten me a full ride into USC's film school, compelte with a congratulatory call from George Lucas himself. This is genius on top of genius.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... so I just reread the paragraph about Cowher and umm.... I don't really know what's going on, but I'm guessing you should turn that in on your grad school application as well.

FILE READ: "Applicant compares Chicago professional football team to ancient militaray power. Potential smart ass, but we need the know-how."

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a "Fidel Castro Has an Artificial Anus" t-shirt yet?

If he dies, who does the beard attach itself to next?

2:38 AM  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

I am having a few dozen screen-printed. Get yours now!

And, I haven't looked at Raul's facial hair recently, but that'd be my first guess. If not, start checking Al Pacino's face daily.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once again viewed a great joke tonight on Daily Show: the Al-Queda (i know I spelled that wrong) youtube network, which consisted of a teenager in a turban doign the EXACT SAME experiment we did with mentos and diet coke, laughing hysterically, then giving a quick "death to america." Priceless.

(I hope Stev saw that, sicne he's the onyl person here who can back me up.)

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm your fact-verifying cuz.

(O'Reiley on the Colbert Factor was brilliant.)

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm BEARS!!

... vs. hatriots (shudder)

Has there ever been a matchup like this with a team so lovable vs,. hatable? Probably. But my god, what can you do with Tom Brady and some piano wire? I'm counting on you. America needs your help.

Oh, and I need you to dissect my new post.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice comment, Dewey.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES!!! IT WORKED!!!!!!

I CAN REVERSE JINX LIKE NO ONE'S BUSINESS!!!!!

I typed that during halftime when I was pissed, thinking either I could skip out on the second half, or maybe it would inspire Indy to come back. And it did. So no HAtriots.

But I'm still very very very much in favor of Bears. the Peyton Manning hype is going to be out of control. Still, seeing the COlts is much better than seeing Belichick's stoic I-hate-your-;life face again.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home