Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Week 1 Recap (Attn: Zartan)

I don't know how often Zartan gets to do his internetting, but I thought I'd throw in a quick note to our man in Cameroon (or Kamerun, if the Kaiser is reading). Hope all is going well over there. Your friends are all morons living in denial if they write off the Guevara/Castro/Beard theory. It's not just conspiracy fluff. It is a very real threat.

Our little crew did a pretty good jorb with the picks. Tabulations courtesy of Zandar.

FOS: 12-4
Metal-Head: 11-5
Zandar: 10-6
Dr. Mindbender: 9-7

Comparatively, here's how the purported experts from ESPN did:

Theismann: 9-6 (he's not allowed to call the Monday games)
Salisbury: 9-7
Hoge: 10-6
Jaworski: 9-7
Schlereth: 8-8
Allen: 7-9
Mortensen: 7-9
Golic: 9-7

And, of course:

BILL SIMMONS: 6-10 (picking against the Patriots, for once!)
BILL SIMMONS' WIFE: 7-9

5 Comments:

Blogger leo said...

HA! We're owning.

However, I think they all factor in spreads and we don't. Or did you just go by wins and losses? See, Simmons might be better off than you think because he's a gambler and he didn;t necessarily predict the Pats to lose, just to not cover the point spread.

We just do W and L. That's why we often do better. I suggest you divide this up amongst those who count spreads and not and divide them. Not to give him any more credit, but it's a different ballgame when you call stuff for those Kenny Rogers out there.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patton Oswalt: I love you, Sports Guy!!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

Hm, you're right. I'm not sure how he'd have done with the spreads and all. Well, assuming he breaks down his W/L ratio in his column, I'll include that here.

As for the X-perts, I can't seem to bring up their picks for last week, but I'm 90% sure they don't use spreads. I will verify that this week.

9:06 AM  
Blogger leo said...

Funny, the one time I was at the UCB theater I'm pretty sure I saw the Sports Guy in the audience and Ian ROberts said something to him. But Patton wasn't there. Man, I need to go more...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Aw shucks, you remember me. I don't want to screw the pooch too early but my Cameroon blog is on the way. It's name comes from Paul Biya's 2004 reelection campaign slogan, "Le Cameroun des grandes ambitions".

Things have been pretty slow since I got to post a couple weeks ago, but today I bought a pagne covered with very retro-looking rollerskates. Soon it will become a matching shirt and pants combo. (Next up: Chicken-and-egg pagne as Western shirt with matching capris.)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home