Tuesday, February 07, 2006

It's been 26 years in coming, to hear the Stillers' machinery humming

After taking Monday off to recuperate, I feel up to posting about the past weekend.

It was easily the best Super Bowl party I've ever been involved in, certainly not least due to the fact that my favorite team was participating and also won football's biggest prize. Yet there was much more to it than that.

Our brigade began to arrive at Starter's around 3:30 PM. Knowing that I had to pace my drinking, I responsibly had a glass of water before diving headfirst into a bucket of Iron City, the first of many. Big thanks go out to Zarana, who volunteered her services as a DD and embedded journalist of sorts.

Destro and the Baroness arrived, the former wearing his No. 43 jersey and the wig of wigs, which the sweatshop resources of COBRA cranked out gradually over the course of the previous two weeks. Mr. Polamalu's flowing locks were dutifully reproduced and were seen flying about throughout the night.

I tried to restrain myself, but anxiety and excitement won the day and soon I was drinking and chainsmoking at a rate which ensured my death by the third quarter...the only question being whether it would be caused by emphysema or cirrhosis. Salvation came in the form of Kavan, who had brought face paint for the occasion. As I was painting a Steelers logo on his cheek, a middle-aged fan approached with two small children, asking if they could be painted next. Pythona volunteered her assistance to meet the rising demand, and I was kept fairly busy until game time painting the assembled Pittsburgh faithful. Got some free drinks out of it too, which was nice.

The Crimson Guard presence was further bolstered by the arrival of Zandar, Major Bludd, and Dr. Mindbender, who was wearing probably the best zealot outfit in the place...the pictures that will be posted, or at least linked here, will tell more of the story than I can. Also with them was Dino and Tefslop, who will get more meritorious mentions as soon as I get their blog sites or someone gives them to me.

Starter's more than did its part in setting the atmosphere. Along with untold liters of IC, the Roethlisburger finally made the menu (albeit a special one) and they had brought about $1,000 worth of Steelers merch to give away at halftime. Thus, I missed the Stones. From what I gather of the reviews, that's for the best.

As for the game itself, that's going to have to wait until tomorrow. I've got some more work to do here today, and about 12 minutes to do it.

P.S. Zartan is a punk, though. Make no mistake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

That truly was an event to behold. A great game I must say. And great times up at Starters. I will be returning at least once a month now to enjoy the company that is you sir. Once the Wow ship is sailed for good, i will be there at least once a month if not more. Also, remember Electric Six Thursday in two weeks at the Khyber. Just fucking do it.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo man, when's the next stagency show? is it next saturday or the following and follow up query, is trojan horsing possible for entry?

i'm hoping so as myself and major bludd are both casting off the shackles of our respective video stores and i know i'll be free on weekends to get faced and make face and hopefully watch matt hardy get kicked in the face every month or so.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home